Sunday, August 19, 2007

Little Boy Blue


Little Boy Blue
Just finished the first quilt in my tree series. I decided to name it Little Boy Blue. It is 18X24. My focus is on trees but trees by themselves can be a little boring to some, so I added a Bluebird for interest. I really enjoyed making this quilt. I tried to concentrate on texture and so for the bark, I took both commercial and hand dyed fabrics and fused them on a background. I painted some Tyvek with Shiva oil paintsticks, cut it in small pieces and applied heat to give a raised effect, then touched them up with brown Tsukineko ink. I also took a fat quarter and wet it and then tied it up in a ball and let it sit in the sun for a week, then dried it in the dryer to give it a crinkly effect. I cut it in smaller pieces and added some dyed string and fibers, topped it off with dyed cheesecloth and stitched the whole thing down. For the knothole, again I used hand dyed fabric, and played with trying to achieve depth by using Caran de Ache watersoluble pastel crayons and Derwent Inktense pencils. I worked from a sketch, which I blew up to get the pattern for the bird and layered blue cheesecloth over a blue piece of fabric, then added snippets to try and attain a feathery feel. In the end, I learned alot and am stimulated to try and create some more pieces similar to this one with different colored birds. I think the next one I do in this series will be a Screech Owl. Guess I better get sketching.
Posted by Barb Forrister at 5:06 PM
Labels:

4 comments:
Sherryl said...
Very, very nice.
August 11, 2007 5:46 PM
Tina Marie Rey said...
This is a great piece! I love love love it! what amazing texture - bravo!
August 11, 2007 5:59 PM
Russty said...
The depth you achieved on the knot hole is amazing. I wanted to reach in and pet the bird. This is really beautiful! I can't wait to see the others in the series. Thank you so much for sharing this. :)
August 12, 2007 9:57 AM
Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...
This little quilt has amazing texture and is quite realistic. I would say the little bird is an indigo bunting, not a bluebird. I enjoyed looking at all the posts on your blog. Jeanneallthingsquilty.blogspot.com
August 17, 2007 8:13 AM


Links to this post
Create a Link

No comments: