Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Creating Fiber Art Rocks for Cairns

I have been working on making rocks for a group collaboration project with my art quilt group. At this point, the background has been quilted and pieced together with a zig zag stitch. We gathered together to square up the quilt and begin stacking rocks to make Cairns. We have a pretty good idea of what the quilt will look like. Here, I have my rocks on a black background but in fact, they will be placed on a neutral light colored pieced background. My group has been extremely patient with me as I am just now finishing my rocks. You may remember, I fell and broke my left arm. I am now in a splint and I have managed to finish my entry for the juried invitational, Rituals. It was time to move forward and begin making rocks. I have returned to working in the studio again, however, not as much as I would like! The healing process is slow but it is getting better! This was a wonderful way to ease back into the swing of things. I first began by layering scraps of hand dyed and commercial fabrics on batting. I sewed around each rock, placed a piece of fabric (for the backing) right sides together with the rockface and again sewed the entire sandwich together. Edges were trimmed and a slit was cut in the back of each rock so that it could be turned right side out. The rocks were pressed with a hot iron and I began painting them with acrylic paints to make them look a little more realistic. Some of the rocks were texturized with bits of thread and fiber bits fused on top with Mistyfuse. They were then quilted with decorative threads to add texture and interest. The photos below show some detail shots that I hope you will enjoy. Please let me know what you think. I would love to hear your thoughts!  

No comments: