Monday, February 18, 2013

Quilt Con Comes to Austin


Wow, things are heating up here in Austin! I can't believe Quilt Con is just around the corner. In case you are wondering, Quilt Con is the first international quilt show for modern quilts hosted by Heather Grant of Austin Modern Quilt Guild. I think it is awesome that Austin was able to get in on the action. It is a fun town that is very amenable to showcasing art and modern movements. When I first heard the show would be held here, I was quite intrigued and had to do some studying on what exactly constituted a modern quilt. They are in fact neither art nor traditionally based but tend to be more utilitarian in nature and encompass a whole new palette of  
their own. Modern quilters employ alot of white and varying shades of gray in their work along with a predominantly solid array of fabrics which lend a very fresh and modernistic look. They may be pieced or appliqued and seem to focus on the use of negative space and minimalist design. I love working with negative space but minimalist design is quite a challenge for me and even more so, the use of solid colors as opposed to prints or tone on tones. Still, I had to try my hand at this new method of creating quilts. Time Travel is my response to the modern quilt movement. I am thrilled that it has been juried into the first ever international modern quilt guild show! How fun! Quilt Con will be held at the Austin Convention Center located at 500 East Cesar Chavez Street, Austin, Texas 78701 on Thursday, February 21st through Sunday, the 24th from 10-6 p.m. I will be helping to white glove on Thursday. On Sunday, you can find me at the Mistyfuse booth with Iris Karp. I understand she has a few new products you will not want to miss out on! Time Travel was created with Mistyfuse and my favorite Goddess Sheets. If you are in the area, please stop in and say hello. We would love to see you!

No comments: