Thursday, January 28, 2010
Vertical Horizon measures 12 X 65 and was completed this month for an exhibit at Tokyo Electron in February 2010. About a year ago, I began playing with gelatin monoprinting on textured sheers. I really liked the results but at the time did not know what to do with them. They finally found their way onto this piece as backgrounds associated with mud cloth, upholstery and cotton fabrics. Since this work was created for a fiber show, I had hoped to continue building on the textural aspect. I began adding colored heat distressed plastics such as cellophane and tyvek as well as handmade fabric beads that again, I had made quite some time ago. Collages were put together on individual panels and beads were attached with embroidery floss on each piece. The panels are linked together by small quilted connector pieces that were further embellished with collaged fabrics and beads as well. Originally this piece was designed to hang vertically as shown but somewhere along the way, I got this idea that it might be cool to have it hang horizontally instead. Sleeves were sewn along the back to make it hang horizontally and the idea was to have a copper rod running through each panel such that you could see the metal as it traversed from panel to panel. I really liked the way this looked but when I took it to my art bee, Kathy mentioned that it would receive more "eye time' hanging vertically and so I sewed additional sleeves to accomodate the new or rather original orientation. Hence this piece can be hung verically or horizontally as desired. Though I prefer working in representational designs, I have tried to be flexible and work in abstract manner as well. Still, this piece is a departure from what I am used to doing. I am hoping it is received well because I really enjoyed playing with the connector pieces and am inspired to continue in this vein.