Wednesday, July 20, 2011

International Quilt Festival World of Beauty 2011: Songbird

Songbird by Barb Forrister
 Wow, I am so jazzed that Songbird has been accepted into the International Quilt Festival World of Beauty Judged Show this year. Yesterday, I received my notification emails, one skinny and one fat! Hey, I'm totally happy with that! I always find it intriguing when one makes it and the other does not, especially when they are done in the same style. A different panel of judges, perhaps work does not fit in the exhibit or perhaps that photo just did not do the work justice. Who knows?  I can say that while my work is exhibited into the special exhibits, it is increasingly difficult to make the finalist list for the judged show at Houston. Ask me how I know. I have not done it since 2008. Yet each year, I throw my hat in the ring because after all, you can't make it if you don't try. Perseverance is one of the best lessons, my father has ever taught me and yes, it does pay off. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again! And so it goes! I am equally blessed that our group quilt, Artist Garden also made the finalist list. I will be blogging about that later next week. It was an absolutely fantastic project that I am blessed to be a part of. For now, I will continue to dance and celebrate. I have a feeling it is going to be a wonderful year! Texas is celebrating its 175th year anniversary, this year and Karey Bresenhan and Nancy O Brien Puentes will be releasing their book, Texas Lone Stars III. To commemorate the event, there will be a special exhibit at festival featuring quilt makers that are portrayed in the book. I will have two pieces, Little Boy Blue and Life's A Beach as well as our art quilt, Group Conversations. Additionally, Generation Y:  Song of Hope in Celebrate Spring, "Austin tatious" in In Full Bloom, Lost Cavern in The Space Between and my Adobe Pueblo entry in It Takes A Village, a 3 dimensional collaboration with 14 international artists which will make its debut in Tactile Architecture Exhibit. Other wonderful news includes the opening of Karey's new museum as well as  the  Alliance for American Quilts headed by Amy Milne interviewing and recording Save Our Stories. Like I said, It's going to be an absolutely fabulous year! Can't wait for the fun to begin!  Dance!
 
Songbird (Detail) By Barb Forrister

6 comments:

Claudia Watkins said...

This is beautiful!!!!

Barb Forrister said...

Thanks, Clohie!

Marilyn Wall said...

Beautiful Barb! Congratulations

Barb Forrister said...

Thanks, Marilyn. I have four quilts that I am currently designing in the same vein. I am so loving this newfound series!

Mary Couch said...

What talent... I love the effect of leaving some grasses plain, some partially stitched and others fully stitched. I'm a beginner at art quilting and you inspire me. Thanks so much.
Hugs from Mary

Barb Forrister said...

Thank you for stopping by and for your kind words, Mary. I had wanted the foliage and bird to come forward and stitching the background, heavily allowed that to happen. Still, the foliage and canary had to have some detail. I had hoped variation in the amount of stitching would provide that extra dimension. I am tickled to hear that it did! Thank You!